What is arthritis pain? Arthritis is defined as a painful swelling, inflammation, and/or stiffness of the joints. We all use our bodies everyday to get through our day and to complete certain tasks. Some of us also choose to live an active lifestyle that may lead to injury or overuse, and over time this can have an impact on our bodies and we develop arthritis in various joints.
Arthritis can affect one or more joints. A joint is the area where two bones meet. Arthritis can vary from having no symptoms at all, minor symptoms, or sever symptoms. There are over 100 kinds of arthritis.
We see a variety of different complaints from arthritic pain in our office. One of the very common questions we are asked is what can I do to alleviate or lessen my arthritis pain? Once arthritis is present in a joint, it is not going to go away. However, since arthritis is an inflammatory condition, you most definitely can manage and treat the inflammation. With reduced swelling comes reduced pain.
What Natural Treatments Are Available For Arthritis?
Your number one goal for reducing the pain that is associated with arthritis is going to be to decrease the inflammation or swelling that is occurring in that joint.
One very effective natural method to reduce inflammation is ice. You can apply an ice pack to the area of complaint for 15-20 minutes every hour to reduce swelling and decrease pain. Make sure that you have one layer, for example a pillowcase or towel, between your skin and the ice.
Another great way to reduce inflammation naturally is by taking an Omega-3 supplement. This will decrease inflammation throughout your body.
Many have tried these two natural remedies and still are looking for something more.
5 Essential Oils That Decrease Arthritis Pain
A great natural alternative to boost health and decrease inflammation in addition to the two suggestions above are essential oils. Essential oils are derived from plants and are a natural, safe alternative to medications for managing arthritis.
There are 5 essential oils in particular that are beneficial or recommended for arthritis.
1. Lavender Oil: This essential oil has so many great properties and is provides the most overall benefit of most essential oils. If you were only going to buy one oil, this would be the one. It has so many uses. Lavender is a universal oil and is known to balance the body and to work wherever you need. It has anti-inflammatory properties and may be applied directly to the area of pain or used aromatically in a diffuser.
2. Marjoram Oil: Marjoram has been used historically for muscle spasm, sprains, stiff joints, arthritis, and bruises. It can be applied directly to the area of pain, and/or may be used by applying to reflex points.
3. Eucalyptus Oil: This is another great oil for inflammation. It can also be applied directly to the area of pain, or diluted 1:1 for those with sensitive skin, or for children. You can also apply this oil to reflex point and diffuse aromatically.
4. Rosemary Oil: Rosemary oil has many uses, but is also known to be analgesic (relieve pain) and anti-inflammatory for arthritis pain. It can be applied directly to the area of pain, reflex points, and/or diffused.
5. Peppermint Oil: Peppermint is also anti-inflammatory. It also has so many uses, especially for digestive issues, but also has been used for rheumatism and arthritis. It can be applied directly to the area of pain or diluted 1:1 for children and sensitive skin. On a side note, one added benefit of peppermint oil. It can be put in a water bottle with 10-12 drops of oil mixed with water, and sprayed along walls or window sills to deter ants. Great natural ant deterrent.
Here is an example of some reflex points on the feet for essential oil use.
These 5 oils were shown in a journal study to reduce pain and depression, as well as increase overall life satisfaction in arthritic patients as compared with those who did not use these essential oils in a control group.
Essential oils have been around for a long time. They were mankind’s first medicine. Essential oils will help to promote your emotional, physical, and spiritual healing. They are a great alternative to medications that can cause side effects. They will help you to improve your overall health while decreasing the swelling and pain that you have with your arthritis.