Have You Tried Coconut Oil For Your Psoriasis & Eczema?

As you know, my daughter Kayla suffers from moderate to severe psoriasis. For a 6 year old girl this is not an easy disease to deal with everyday. She is extremely self-conscious and despite our best efforts to use long sleeves, tights, and a specific hairstyle, she still gets stared at and questions about her skin.

I have posted before about the natural methods we are utilizing to treat and reduce her psoriasis. One of these methods includes her taking probiotics for gut health. Up to 50% of the immune system stems from our intestines and by florifying them with healthy bacteria we allow the immune system to function properly.

Well fairly recently I changed the brand of probiotics I was giving to my daughter. I did not even think to read the label. Just a little history, in the past we bought pure coconut oil to rub into Kayla’s skin. Coconut oil has many health benefits both when applied to the skin externally and utilized internally. Benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. The Coconut Research Center provides references on scientific research done on the benefits of coconut oil.

Unfortunately, our daughter had a skin reaction to the pure coconut oil. Since then I have been careful to read all labels on food and lotions/cleansers to make sure coconut oil was not in the ingredients for her. Well I failed to read the label when I bought her probiotic pearls. About 10 days ago she started breaking out in a rash on her belly, chest, and back in addition to her psoriasis. It took me about 5 days to think about what was new in her routine. I read the label and discovered in additional ingredients coconut oil. Her previous probiotic only lists palm oil. Bingo! I felt horrible. And yet I questioned if this was the cause. Long story short, we are removing this brand of probiotic and I hope to see improvement in her allergic reaction in a few days. Poor girl, she deals with enough, and my human mistake of failing to read a label worsened her condition.

Benefits of Coconut Oil
So yes, coconut oil is a great natural antibacterial and antiviral product. It has great benefits for Psoriasis when applied topically and taken internally, but not if you are allergic. It is an effective moisturizer, prevents dryness and flaking of the skin, and treats various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties. If you have not utilized coconut oil as a natural treatment for psoriasis, I would encourage you to check it out.

If you enjoyed this article, “like it” for Facebook, and please comment below your experiences and results with using coconut oil to share with others.

P.S. My daughter has seen great results for her psoriasis with regular salt baths. This is a natural alternative for those suffering with skin conditions and arthritis. Check some out here.

Coconut Oil, 16oz, Organic, Extra-virgin (Philippines)

Sunfood Coconut Oil contains healthy, healing, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). MCTs support the immune system, the thyroid gland, the nervous system, the skin, and provide fast energy.

15 Responses to Have You Tried Coconut Oil For Your Psoriasis & Eczema?
  1. jamie
    August 3, 2012 | 6:47 pm

I would like to add a concern not a warning. Coconut oil – butter contains tyramine proteins. Unfortunately, if you are taking any MAOI’s anti depressants this can be very serious if you are consuming the oil- butter. You should consult your doctor before attempting a coconut oil – butter diet.
    Same concerns with regards to migraines that are triggered by tyramine.

2. wkliwanag
    August 6, 2012 | 5:09 pm

Thank you for your information. I appreciate you visiting the blog and contributing to the article.

3. Dale
    February 21, 2013 | 2:07 pm

To help your daughter, try this. Psoriasis skin has little natural oil. So, the skin is a magnet to many problems not found in eveyone else. You will find natural cotton, wool and silk products are best materials to wear, sleep, or whatever touches the skin. No rayon, nylon, or synthetic coverings will due since they cause friction with the skin. You can see the sparks at night when your child moves in her sleep lying under thes materials. Next, nothing you drink will have any benefit since psoriasis blocks normal function of the skin pores. Better first, when nightly bathing, leave shower water on the cool side. This will prevent any oil on the skin to remain. Shampoo and soap will also remove beneficial oils from the skin. Try to use only water and some scrubbing to clean. After showering apply a 1/8th oil mix (test oils for compatbility to skin), minneral oil will do or maybe coconut. Add this to 7/8ths cream mixture (Eucerin works, again test on skin first). You can mix with common hand-held food blender. The oil will alow the cream to spread evenly. Reaply to skin in the morning before dressing. This above lifestyel change worked on 16 year old girl with 95% coverage.

4. wkliwanag
    February 27, 2013 | 5:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences and remedies. Our daughter Kayla is doing great this winter with only 5-6 psoriasis lesions compared with her entire body and scalp being covered one year ago. Natural remedies that I have discussed on this blog for psoriasis have transformed her life. She no longer is ashamed to be seen or to show her skin. She has recently participated in two local natural beauty pageants. One year ago she would have never even considered participating. Her quality of life and her health have soared with natural psoriasis and immune system building remedies.

Dr. Kirsten

5. Marjorie
    May 6, 2013 | 12:29 am

That is a really good tip especially to those new to the
    blogosphere. Brief but very precise information… Thank you for
    sharing this one. A must read post!

6. wkliwanag
    May 7, 2013 | 10:32 am

Thank you for your feedback and for your visit. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Dr. Kirsten

7. organic beauty products
    May 29, 2013 | 7:27 am

That is very interesting, You are a very professional blogger.
    I have joined your feed and stay up for searching for extra of your wonderful post.
    Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks

8. Charles
    May 27, 2014 | 8:07 pm

I have had psoriasis for forty years. A couple of times it has covered up to 75% of my body.The last times was fall past(2013). For 20 years I tried a lot of natural ideas. But in November I studied Vitamin D and Coconut Oil again but a little deeper this time. After about 3 weeks of taking 6 drops of Vita D and a tablespoon of oil 3x/dy it started to clear up and has been ever since. I was tested for D and it was 100. I wish I had got tested before taking D. But what ever happened I’m not changing anything.

9. wkliwanag
    June 20, 2014 | 1:00 pm

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing your story. The natural cures that worked for you may benefit someone else. Everybody’s body is different and responds differently, that is why I like to discuss multiple natural solutions. Remember, we are treating the cause and not just the symptoms. Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition, and each person suffering from psoriasis needs to evaluate and strengthen their immune system to enable the body to heal the way it was designed to. Vitamin D is one of those natural solutions that builds a strong immune system. Keep doing what you are and congratulations on clearing up your psoriasis. Dr. K

10. Adolf
    July 25, 2014 | 12:27 pm

Hi, I suffer from both Psoriasis and eczema.first outbreak 52 years ago and now fully blown, more than 80%. I went to see a GP two weeks ago as the Dermatologist spent only 11 minutes and charged a fortune. I tested my blood group for the first time to be a rare blood group, AB+, so there are many foods that are not compatible with this blood group. Coconut and it’s derivatives are one of them. i think that this is an interesting avenue to explore as i went totally coconutty when the flare ups started again, same goes for Avo, my staple food. point is that from how my outbreaks are now compared to two weeks ago is a miracle on it’s own. Amazing fact is that much research has been done on blood type “diets”. I personally believe that all psoriasis and eczema sufferers should consider this.

11. wkliwanag
    July 28, 2014 | 8:00 pm

Thank you for sharing with us. You are absolutely right in regards to blood type and compatible foods, and finding foods that you are sensitive to, and then avoiding those foods will go a long way in improving your health. When we have a food sensitivity, our body reacts with inflammation, which is the exact opposite of what you want or need. Psoriasis has an inflammatory component and the more you are able to reduce the inflammatory response in your body, the better your body is able to heal and to prevent new lesions from developing.

12. immune system boosters
    September 20, 2014 | 1:03 pm

Yes! Finally something about body’s immune system.

13. agencia seo
    September 21, 2014 | 2:35 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on childrens psoriasis.
    Regards

14. wkliwanag
    September 22, 2014 | 4:07 pm

Thank you for visiting. 🙂

15. wkliwanag
    September 22, 2014 | 4:07 pm

Thanks for your comment and for visiting. I hope you found some useful information. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. 🙂